Great recipe for build your own tacos! Toppings can always be switched out for other seasonal veggies. Source: Epicurious
For the steak & marinade
- 1 lbs Skirt Steak
- 1 Medium Jalapeno (thinly sliced)
- 2 Garlic Cloves (finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup Cilantro (coarsely chopped)
- 1/4 cup Fresh Lime Juice
- 1/4 cup Olive Oil
- 1 tsps Kosher Salt
- 1/2 tsps Ground Black Pepper
- 3/4 tsps Ground Cumin
For the tacos
- 8 (8-inch) corn or flour tortillas
- Homemade or store-bought tomatillo salsa, for serving
- 1/2 medium avocado (sliced)
- 1/3 cup sour cream, thinned with a tablespoon of water or lime juice
- Optional Toppings: Crumbled queso fresco , cilantro leaves, thinly sliced red onion, and lime wedges for serving
Marinate & Cook the Steak
- Combine jalapeño, garlic, cilantro, lime juice, oil, salt, pepper, and cumin in a large resealable bag or bowl. Add steak and toss to coat; if using bowl, wrap with plastic. Marinate at least 30 minutes at room temperature or chill up to overnight in refrigerator, tossing occasionally.
- Let steak sit at room temperature 30 minutes before cooking if chilled. Prepare a grill or grill pan for medium-high heat. Remove steak from marinade, scraping off any bits that cling to meat; discard marinade. Grill steak 2–3 minutes per side for medium rare. Let rest 10 minutes before thinly slicing against the grain.
Assemble the Tacos
Warm tortillas in a microwave, oven, or over a gas flame. Divide steak among tortillas, then top with salsa, avocado, sour cream, queso fresco, if using, cilantro, and onion. Serve with lime wedges alongside
Steak can be marinated 1 day ahead; keep chilled.