Enjoy this yummy Corned Beef recipe on St. Patty's Day. This is best served with cabbage or check out our Ruben recipe to use the Corned Beef!
- 1 Brisket Whole OR Brisket Flat OR Brisket Point
- 2 Quarts of Water
- 1 Cup of Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Cup of Brown Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons of Saltpeter
- 1 Cinnamon Stick (Broken into several pieces)
- 1 Teaspoon of Mustard Seeds
- 1 Teaspoon of Black Peppercorns
- 8 Whole Cloves
Brining The Brisket
- Place the water into a large 6 to 8 quart stockpot along with salt, sugar, saltpeter, cinnamon stick, mustard seeds, peppercorns, cloves, allspice, juniper berries, bay leaves and ginger.
- Cook over high heat until the salt and sugar have dissolved.
- Remove from heat and add the ice. Stir until the ice has melted. If necessary, place the brine into the refrigerator until it reaches a temperature of 45 degrees F.
- Once it has cooled, place the brisket in a 2-gallon zip lock bag and add the brine. Seal and lay flat inside a container, cover and place in the refrigerator for 10 days.
- Check daily to make sure the beef is completely submerged and stir the brine.
Cooking The Brisket
- After 10 days, remove from the brine and rinse well under cool water.
- Place the brisket into a pot just large enough to hold the meat.
- Add the meat, add the onion, carrot and celery and cover with water by 1 inch.
- Set over high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and gently simmer for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Remove from the pot and thinly slice across the grain.
Source: All rights reserved to Food Network
Leave a comment