Not feeling up to having the oven on to make Lasagna? Try our Lasagna Soup recipe, with ingredients similar to the traditional dish, this soup just may be an easier way to get away from the hot oven.
- 1 lb Lean Ground beef (your preference of 85/15 or 90/10)
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil (divided)
- Salt & Ground Black Pepper - to taste
- 1 large Yellow Onion, diced
- 5 cloves of Garlic, minced (more or less depends on you)
- 4 1/2 Cups Low-Sodium Chicken Broth (more or less for desired thickness of soup)
- 2 1/2 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 1 (14.5 oz) can of petite diced tomatoes
- 1 (14.5 oz) can of crushed tomatoes
- 3/4 tsp dried Oregano
- 1/2 tsp dried Thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried Rosemary
- 1 3/4 tsp dried Basil
- 1 tsp Sugar (helps cut down some of the acidity of the tomatoes)
- 8 Lasagna Noodles - broke into bite-sized pieces OR replace with about 2.5 Cups of Bowties or Campanelle noodles
- 1 1/4 Cups shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 8 oz Ricotta cheese
- 1/2 Cup finely shredded Parmesan Cheese
- 2 Tbsp Chopped Fresh Parsley, a little extra for garnish (if desired)
- Heat 1 Tbsp of Olive Oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. When hot start browning Ground Beef into fine pieces, salt, and pepper to taste, and stir occasionally. When browned to liking, remove ground beef from the pot and set it aside. (This will be added back in again after the noodles are finished.)
- Heat remaining Tbsp of Olive Oil, add chopped yellow onion, and sauté until it begins to soften. (About 2-3 minutes, depending on the stovetop) Add minced Garlic, and sauté again for about 30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Pour in Chicken broth, diced tomatoes, crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, Oregano, Thyme, Rosemary, Basil, Sugar, and cooked Ground Beef, and season to taste with Salt and Pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Return to boil, (while waiting for the soup to come to a boil work on step #6) add in noodles and cook as normal. (If you prefer a thinner soup add an additional 1 Cup of Chicken Broth, as the noodles will absorb some of the existing broth) Once noodles are finished stir in fresh Parsley.
- In a mixing bowl; mix together the Parmesan, Mozzarella, and Ricotta.
- Serve in your favorite soup bowl, adding a scoop of the cheese mixture on top with a sprinkle of fresh Parsley for garnish, and enjoy! (The cheese will melt into the warm soup once it is stirred up.)
Source: All rights reserved to Zobel Family Farms
PLEASE NOTE:If you do not have all of the listed herbs/seasonings above, you can substitute for 1 Tbsp of Italian Seasoning instead.
If you are a vegetable lover, while on step 2, add in any vegetables you think would compliment the soup. Zucchini or squash may be good, especially if these are in season!