Enjoy this yummy recipe on Cinco De Mayo!
- 1 - 4 Pound Pork Butt / Shoulder Roast Bone - In
- 1 Teaspoon of Coarse Sea Salt
- 1 Teaspoon of Fresh - Cracked Black Pepper
- 1 Cup of Yellow Onion, Cut into Large Slices or Chunks
- 4 Cloves of Garlic, Minced or Crushed
- 1 Cup of Orange Juice
- 2 Tablespoons of Dried Oregano
- 1 Tablespoon of Ground Cumin
- 1 1/2 Tablespoons of Avocado or Canola Oil
Street Taco Ingredients
- 18 Small Tortillas (corn or flour)
- Diced White Onion
- Chopped Cilantro
- 4 Limes, Quartered
- Rinse the pork shoulder and pat dry with paper towels. Cut off any excess fat, but keep the fat cap intact.
- Season the pork with salt and pepper.
- Combine cumin and oregano, add oil and combine well. Brush the rub onto the pork, and then massage it into the meat with your hands.
- Transfer the pork into the slow cooker, with the fat cap up. Add garlic, onion, and orange juice.
- Cover and cook on high for 6 hours or on low for 10 hours.
- Transfer pork to the cutting board. Pull the bones out. Use tongs to pull off the fat cap and any excess fat chunks.
- Take 2 forks and shred the meat. Don't completely shred into fine pieces, as you still want some small chunks.
- Char the meat
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large cast iron skillet
- Add pork to the skillet in one layer and leave it alone for 3 minutes so the meat will char properly.
- Flip meat with a spatula and char for another 2 minutes.
- Make the street tacos.
- Add the pork to the tortillas.
- Top with diced white onion and chopped cilantro.
- Pour over a little of the reserved liquid.
- Finish with a squeeze of fresh lime.
Source: All rights reserved to Karyl's Kulinary Krusade